Tuesday, December 11, 2007

ESPN Die.

ESPN breaks Miles crap again, claiming that the Michigan athletic department talked to Miles this morning and is still going after the newly signed coach. This news coming from "undisclosed" sources and the Detroit Free Press. Nothing has changed. We all knew this, and we all knew that this contract extension he signed is completely meaningless because the buyout of the contract, whether it is freshly signed or not, is still the same amount of money. By ESPN breaking this news, it maybe just be putting Miles between another rock and a hard place because media bombardment is sure to follow because of ESPN's "breaking story." Whether or not I care whether we get Miles now or not, I cannot see how this is going to help Michigan's cause. This just reiterates my belief that ESPN has too much power in the sports world, to the point where it can be dangerous and damaging to certain causes. (ie, bombardment of the NHL, and Michigan/Miles)
I'll care when the headline reads, "Michigan signs ____________ to be next head coach." For now, I believe nothing and nobody.

3 comments:

Pat said...

Bitching about ESPN's power is stpuid. We all watch it. If you don't like its power then pay no attention, dont' watch sportscenter or PTI and don't read ESPN.com

Robby said...

We watch those things because there is no other alternative to Sportscenter and 24-7 sports coverage on television. I'm not bitching just to bitch, that's what I believe. I'm allowed to ridicule ESPN all I want AND watch it because as a sports fan, we have NO OTHER OPTION. ESPN has an affect on the world of sports beyond just reporting about it. I don't feel that's right or fair, but it doesn't mean I have to abstain from watching it given there is no alternative.

Pat said...

How is not right or fair? They've done the best job in selling people like me and u that they are the worldwide leader. You could watch fox sports all day or read updates at SI.com. It frustrates me to hear people get angry at ESPN because they are good at what they do. The fact that they have pull in how things play out in the media and public perception only shows further that they are just doing a good job.

About Me

My photo
Park City, Utah, United States